Most customers aren't sure how to select a contractor. The phone book is usually the option most people choose to start with, and then they call around asking questions. Some basic research on the internet can help reduce the number of phone calls that you need to make as well as help you to find a certified, qualified and respected contractor.
1. Verify that the contractor registration number is current with L&I.
2. Look for the contractor registration number in advertisements for contractors. The law requires this number to be included in all advertisements, including business cards and the Yellow Pages.
3. Check out the contractor records with the Better Business.
4. Look up comments other customers have left with consumer insight organizations.
5. Verify that the contractor with professional groups such as a Home Builders Association.
6. Ask friends, relatives and co-workers for references.